Monday, September 10, 2018

The Shaw Centre for the Salish Sea



A lot of rain is forecast this week so I thought it would be a good opportunity to visit some of the attractions in Sidney and Victoria.

Stop number one was The Shaw Centre for the Salish Sea, suitably located near the seafront in town. I took my time peering into the 28 aquarium habitats which house over 160 species of fish and invertebrates all of which are native to these waters.

I couldn't do the displays justice with my camera but here's a sampling of the diverse marine life you can closely observe through the glass. You can also roll up your sleeves, wash your hands and make contact in the "touch pool" if you wish.

Mercifully, there are no large mammals kept here but there are informative exhibits including whale baleen, skeletons, photos and other artifacts. There's a kids discovery area, a nook with related books to read and a rotation of interesting films of sea creatures in their natural habitats.

I know I'll be a frequent visitor, so I purchased an annual membership for $42.00 including tax with entitles me to free entry, discounts in the gift shop and reduced admission to a number of other BC attractions. (A one day adult admission ticket is $17.50; $14 for seniors)


No comments:

Post a Comment