Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Dutch Bakery and Diner


According to their menu, four generations of the Schaddelee family have been running the Dutch Bakery and Diner since 1956. Founder Kees Schaddelee Sr, retired at age 72 but frequented the shop until he passed away at age 97 in 2007.
It's a busy spot with folks ordering from the bakery counter to take home and people lunching in the diner.
I notice a sign for the afternoon special - a pastry and tea or coffee for $5. I ask my server which pastry they're most famous for and she replied, "Without a doubt the Vanilla Slice" so I order one with a pot of rooibos tea. The vanilla slice, seen here, is two layers of puff pastry filled with custard and topped with vanilla fondant and buttercream. A little sweet for my taste, but I'm sure I'll be back to sample another pastry from their long list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment