Friday, July 13, 2018

Lettuce Galore

Through local Facebook buy/sell/trade group I find a neighbour selling fresh baked bread. We ride our bikes a few blocks to purchase a loaf fresh out of the oven. "I like this game", I think.

Next, I read about a girl who is selling beets, lettuce, and peas from her garden to raise funds for her dance classes. Through her mom, I place an order and we drive out to the farm to pick it up. I gave her a bit extra as a donation, "from one dancer to another".  When I got home and started unpacking I began to think I had bought more lettuce than we could possibly use in time. I don't know many folk in town yet, so I thought I'd ask the bread lady. Turns out, the veggie girl is her granddaughter!

Hubby asks: "Isn't there such a thing as lettuce soup?"  Within a few minutes, I find a recipe for "pea, lettuce and mint soup" posted by the National Trust in the UK. Luckily, I had all the ingredients including fresh mint from my garden. It turned out surprisingly delicious!  I roasted the beets, put some in the freezer, and made a salad with some beet greens and lettuce too.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/felbrigg-hall-gardens-and-estate/recipes/pea-lettuce-and-mint-soup

No comments:

Post a Comment