Saturday, August 25, 2018
This 44 metre (144 feet) high trestle bridge spans the Koksilah River with a total length of metres (617 feet). Built in 1920, was named after the nearby King Solomon Mines which despite the grandiose name, never amounted to much. Contrary to what some believe, the railway was not constructed to serve the mines but as part of a line planned to connect Victoria with Nootka Sound. Sadly the railways disappeared from Vancouver Island in the 1980s. Thankfully the local government,Cowichan Valley Regional District (CVRD) undertook restoration and maintenance of the trestle which is part of a recreational trail.
On the day we visited, many cyclists, walkers and a pair of sulkies pulled by miniature horses were enjoying the trail and selfie ops on the trestle.